Whenever I’m stuck on something to eat when I’m home all day and I have abit of time to spare I always seem to be drawn to making this soup. Maybe because its so satisifying to make and leaves me feeling full for agggeeess! So that means I won’t snack continuously throughout the day, which Im a sucker for doing when im working on my laptop all day! Check out this soup/curry/whatever you want to call it, seriously the best tasting thing ever.
What You Need:
Serves 2. Cook time- 45 minutes
1/2 cup red lentils
1 onion, finely diced
1/2 can of tomatoes and the juice
Greek-style plain yogurt (optional) you could also use coconut cream, this is as a thickener
20ml vegetable stock
1/2 tsp crushed cumin seeds
1/2 tsp of salt
1 and 1/2 tsp of crushed garlic
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (optional)
3 big stalks of silverbeet
3 potaoes, chopped into small squares
Sweet basil (or any other flavouring you want)
Thinly sliced bread/pita bread
1 1/2 tbsp of crushed garlic
1 tbsp vegetable oil
Half and avocado
Mixed herbs to top
- Add 1 and 1/2 cups of water to a pot and bring to the boil, add lentils and bring down to midium heat, cook for 10 minutes or till soft
2. While you wait add tomatoes and yogurt/coconut cream (thickener), add salt, vegestock, cumin seeds, apple cider vinegar, crushed garlic, mix well
3. Drain lentils, then add the mix
4. Bring to boil, then simmer on low heat for 8 minutes, with lid on.
5. Remove the stems from the silverbeet and chop into small squares
6. Add the potatoes and stems into the pot, and cook for another 10 minutes
7. Chop the silverbeet leaves into ribbons, as small or thick as you want, and add those in with the basil leaves.
8. Cook for 10 more minutes, stir every 4 minutes.
-Meanwhile: preheat the oven to 200 degrees, grill.
9. Lather the garlic/oil paste with the mixed herbs on top of the bread and grill in the oven until slightly brown
10. Spoon soup into bowls, add the yogurt/ coconut cream on top for added taste, and optional avocado and mixed herbs!
The best thing for a cold night in and it takes sooo good. Not kidding.
Why You Need This In Your Life:
Lentils are a great substitute for meat, as it creates something to thicken up the soup that would usually hold chicken, beef etc. They are also a very rich source of fibre which is important for clearing out the gut and to keep everything flowing well! It has high sources of iron for healthy blood and energy levels, which means it is so important to consume, especially if you are a women and don’t eat red meat. And of course you are getting that source of iron without having the risks of the higher cholesterol levels, increased cancer risk and so on, from eating the meat. Lentils are like the holy grail of foods. So chuck brown, red, or green lentils into all your dishes (well not all), and enjoy!
Remember its all about having that mind and body health, so consume all the food that makes your body, as-well as your mind, feel great.
Much Love x