Imma be real with you all here. This recipe is better than the actual Pad Thai you buy in Thailand; I know, thats a big deal. And yes I am speaking from experience.
But to be honest I have had a bad run in with pad Thai in Asia. I was SO excited to try it out because as most of you already know its as worshipped as pizza is for us westerners, and so I tried it… And it had a god damn hair in it, and then I ordered another one a week later and, you wouldn’t believe it, another hair.
I was so shook. I may be overexaggerting here, but I just couldn’t seem to not gag everytime I saw pad Thai after that. But once I got home and turned vegetarian, I’m just out here trying to step outta my comfort zone with food. So here I am making something I hate, but now obviously love.
Here is ze best crulty free/healthy/bomb ass, pad Thai Eva:
Vegetarian (or vegan) Pad Thai
Ingredients (Serves 3)
200g flat rice noodles
handful of spring onions
4 garlic cloves (OR 1 TBSP minced)
2 large handfuls of mungbeans
1 TBSP paprika
2 whisked eggs (optional)
2 TBSP soy sauce
drizzle of honey (optional)
3 1/2 TBSP sweet chilli sauce
1 TBSP lemon juice
2 tsp avocado oil OR any oil (such as, almond, coconut etc)
1/3 cup coconut milk
- Break temph up to a ‘mince’ like consistency, and fry on medium heat till warm.
- Scramble and cook eggs, then set aside. Again this is not nessacry if you want to make it vegan.
- At the same time, cook the noodles in a pot for 6 minutes, or until they are soft. OR I soaked my noodles in warm water for 15 minutes, but they were too crunchy, that’s why I recommend boiling them.
- Then add all the ingredients, except for sauce and noodles, into a pan and cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Once you have made the sauce and heated noodles, add everything together and heat for another 5 minutes.
And voila! You can then serve with more soy sauce, and sprinkle on some ground nuts for some crunchiness, such as peanuts! Or just serve how it is, cause its delish either way.
This recipe is such a quick and easy dinner or lunch that you can make for the whole family, flat, or take it all for yourself!
Hope you all enjoy,
Much love x